Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How much will that paddock take?

This is an easy question to address since I have my cattle next to road for all the world to see. With the amount of rain (no rain gauge up due to construction) we've received on Sunday and Monday, the paddock I planned to release the cows from this morning was looking pretty muddy by last night.

I released the cows early, but to tell you the truth the ground looked stable. The only place that gets a little worn is right along the paddock line. There must be some cattle whose only job is to create a worn path right along a fence line.

So back to the neighbors, many may think that the paddock is for all intensive purposes is now a wasteland. On the outside that may be true, but in the reality all of the hoof podding is tremendous for the ground. The animal waste combined with rain water forces nutrients directly into the ground. I could never apply man made fertilizer as well as the cattle do for me.

In fact, by this time next week, you wouldn't be able to tell that the cattle were there. In 2 months, when we make our final rotation for the year, you wouldn't even know that the cattle were ever there during the entire grazing season. Let the cattle work for you and you would be amazed and what they can do.

Chances of rain today which means more under the roof jobs which is alright since I've found an old list that has plenty for me to do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment