Sunday, July 25, 2010

What is means to be a good steward

Such a heavy topic for 4:45 in the morning, but here it goes.

Being a good steward means being true to your surroundings. After our recent 6+ inches of rain, one would think that mass erosion and other land removal would certainly have taken place. Quite the contrary.

Our method of farming (mob grazing) allows for the cattle to be in one area of the pasture at one time. So while water descended from the neighbors farm and rushed through the pasture yesterday, minimal damage was experienced. Had we done things the way we used to do it, it might be a different picture.

Being a good steward is a recognition that we are only here for a brief time. Frankly ours in but a vapor and to think that we can do whatever we want, wherever we want is irresponsible. To build the soil, raise a variety of grasses, to raise cattle on a low input, sustainable system is not just a noble goal, but should be mandated.

How and why farmers plant where they do here in the Driftless Region is beyond me. I've paid for ditches to be filled in year after year and beginning next year, all that will end. Soil doesn't "grow" but is created over time. As I get older, the soil in my hands and in how I treat it will be my legacy.

I could expound on these points, but this is my stance on stewardship. It may waver with different dialogue, but for the most part, its how I feel.

Have a great Sunday. A day of rest before I tackle some hay on Monday and yet another busy week at Mountain Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment