Friday, July 8, 2011

Crop Rotation

It won't be long and the winter wheat will be coming out. The plan after the wheat has been harvested is to no-till sorghum sudangrass. This is an inexpensive alternative to silage corn and when successfully harvested, is a tremendous source of caloric intake for the cattle. I've learned that what makes tremendous grass-fed beef are the calories, not protein. While protein is desirable, its comparable to eating dessert every day. While its good, the nutritional value is just not there. Sorghum sudangrass is my feed of choice, although I continue to explore my options.

What I've been kicking around is what to plant in that particular field for the next year? My thought is to go with winter rye and then rotate back to sorghum sudangrass. While this may be July, a farmer's thoughts have already committed to September, March and beyond.

Not much time to think about it today. I need to finish 2nd crop, prepare for a longer day at the Farmer's market tomorrow and then prepare for a week of fencing amidst meetings, work, family and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment